Labor laws were created to protect employees’ rights to fair pay and a safe workplace. Unfortunately, too many employers try to circumvent fair labor standards by forcing workers to accept working conditions that violate these laws. These violations may include the following:
- Unpaid duty on meal and rest breaks
- Failure to pay minimum wage
- Misclassification of workers as independent contractors
- Misclassification of workers as exempt from labor laws on the basis that they are “white collar” or executive workers
- Failure to pay employees for pre- and post-shift “off the clock” activities
- Failure to pay overtime to drivers under the Motor Carrier Act
- Failure to pay overtime to sales people who are exempt under the Outside Sales Exemption
- Improper Tip and Service Charges
These and other violations of wage and hour laws cheat employees out of earned wages. Moreover, more employees than ever are being forced to sign away their employment rights under arbitration agreements, forcing their employment claims into forums more favorable to employers.
If you have been denied wages or been the subject of unfair labor practices, contact the Schwaba Law Firm.