You may find the days and weeks afterward particularly stressful, if you are involved in a car crash with another driver. You could be recovering from physical injury and mental trauma while also dealing with a range of third parties such as the police, insurance companies, and medical professionals. In times of stress, it can be challenging to think clearly and make the right decisions. After an accident, engaging personal injury attorneys at the Schwaba Law Firm to handle your case may alleviate pressure and help you navigate the case with a clearer mind
If you have been injured in an auto accident, or your life has been directly impacted by the loss of a loved one in a fatal accident, you may be entitled to monetary compensation. Don’t agree to a settlement, sign any papers, or even talk to your insurance company until you speak with your Charlotte auto accident lawyer.
Steps to Take at the Scene of the Accident
After an accident, many motorists are understandably shaken up. However, after first ensuring that you and everyone else involved in the accident are okay, there are a few necessary steps you should take.
At the scene of the accident:
- Call emergency helpline: Call immediately health care emergency help line and report the auto accident to the Police Department.
- Record Information: For every driver, use your cell phone to capture name, phone number, driver’s license number, insurance information; and License plate information.
- Record Witnesses: Get names and phone numbers for any witnesses to the car accident.
- Get Immediate Medical Treatment – This should be completed as soon after the accident as possible. In order to recover compensation, you must prove that the injury you sustained was caused by the accident, which can be difficult if you delay getting medical treatment.
- Track Your Expenses – Because you will be requesting compensation for all the expenses that resulted from the accident, you will need to provide receipts and bills. This includes items like medical bills, property damage, lost wages, transportation costs, etc.
- Contact Car Accident Attorney: The sooner you involve an attorney, the sooner they can get to work gathering evidence and building your injury claim.
When it comes to receiving medical attention, don’t turn down help. Even if you believe you are not injured, you should be checked by any medical personnel at the scene. With adrenaline surging, most people do not feel the full impact of the crash, and injuries can sometimes take up to a week to appear.
When police officers arrive at the scene, they will ask about the accident. When answering these questions, you need to be calm and provide truthful answers. Again, it is helpful to be brief, honest, and straightforward.
What Compensation you can Expect as a Car Accident Victim
Every vehicle accident case is unique, with different damages and losses survivors suffer. Seeking an appropriate amount can increase the odds of securing a successful insurance settlement. A car accident lawyer can review your case and calculate a fair amount to claim. Then, we at the Schwaba Law Firm help you fight to obtain this amount or greater from an insurance company or another defendant .
- Hospital bills and health care expenses
- Temporary or permanent disability accommodations
- Existing and future lost wages
- Vehicle repairs or replacement
- Physical pain and suffering
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death damages
- Punitive damages (considered punishment and are typically awarded at the court’s discretion)
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
Retain a seasoned personal injury attorney from our firm to help you fight for the recovery you need to move forward in comfort and confidence. We can estimate the reasonable value of your case during a free initial consultation.
Contact Car Accident Attorney before You Contact the Insurance Company
Before you talk to the insurance company adjuster, protect your rights by consulting an experienced car accident attorney at the Schwaba Law Firm. Even if you decide to handle your case on your own, advice from a lawyer familiar with automobile accident cases and local laws can often help you avoid unintentionally weakening your claim.
A car accident attorney can also help answer your questions about getting medical treatment. If you were injured in a car accident, it is important to seek medical care and follow-up care immediately — rather than worrying about saving the insurance company money or hoping that you’ll get better on your own. Getting the proper medical treatment will give you the best chance of getting well, as quickly as possible and as completely as possible. It also serves as documentation of your pain and suffering — ultimately making your case worth more.
What to Expect When You Consult a Car Accident Attorney
After a car accident it is normal to feel distraught and overwhelmed. Insurance companies may be trying to convince you of their view of the situation when you know the reality is quite different. Relying on a seasoned legal expert who can guide you through your case will help you find some calm amid a time of chaos. Your quality of life matters and your car accident lawyer will aggressively advocate for you.
The following discussion you can expect from your initial visit with a Charlotte vehicle accident lawyer at the Schwaba Law Firm:
- Did you face injuries? Can your injuries be proven and vouched for by a medical expert?
- Do you have auto insurance and have you spoken to your insurance company already?
- For medical expenses, lost wages, or another benefit, will you sue your car insurance provider?
- Will you bring a separate case against the at-fault person in your crash?
- Has your life been seriously or permanently altered because of the car accident? Has your ability to work been compromised?
The Schwaba Law Firm has been helping car accident victims in the Greater Charlotte area for over a decade. If you would like to schedule a free consultation with our expert car accident attorney’s, call us at 855-SCHWABA or contact at email@example.com.